Reducing the Risk of Chemical Substances
Targets and Results for Fiscal 2012
Eliminating substances targeted for reduction and reducing VOC emissions
Seeking alternatives to substances earmarked for reduction and reducing VOC emissions
Konica Minolta is committed to strict management of chemical substances throughout the supply chain. In fiscal 2012, it selected substances of very high concern (SVHC) under the REACH Regulation for reduction, conducted a study of alternatives, and established reduction management plans for different applications and fields. The Group also requests suppliers to manage substances contained in products, and it practices management in compliance with the revised RoHS directive. Since 1993 Konica Minolta made efforts to reduce the emissions of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) from its production sites, focusing on those VOCs that it determined to have a high risk in terms of hazard and volume of use. In fiscal 2012, the Group achieved the targets for all its businesses by carrying out measures under its Green Factory Certification System.
*1 REACH regulations: Regulations enacted by the EU in June 2007 concerning the registration, evaluation, authorization and restriction of chemicals, to consolidate existing regulations concerning chemical substances.
*2 RoHS Directive: Regulations enacted by the EU in July 2006 prohibiting the use of specified hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment.
Fiscal 2012 Targets and Results (compared with fiscal 2005)
Self-assessment *** Achievement more than 100% ** Achievement more than 80% and less than 100% * Achievement less than 80%
|Objectives||Fiscal 2012 Targets||Fiscal 2012 Results||Self-assessment|
|Reducing the risk of chemical substances||Chemical substance management :
• Plan alternatives to materials targeted for reduction
• Respond to RoHS*1 self-declaration of conformance
|• Initiative plan for substances targeted for reduction
• Measures for the RoHS Self-Declaration
|Atmospheric emissions of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) (environmental impact index*2):-70.5%||-75.3%||***|
- RoHS Directive: Regulations enacted by the EU in July 2006 prohibiting the use of specified hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment.
- Environmental impact index: An index unique to Konica Minolta designed to measure impact on the environment, obtained by multiplying VOC emission volume by a hazard factor (impact on human health and environmental impact) and a location factor.
More information on the target areas is available at the following links: