Environmental Accounting at Konica Minolta
We have implemented group environmental accounting worldwide.
Environmental accounting refers to the converted monetary value of benefits derived from the various environmental measures we implement; their investment effectiveness is compared and studied quantitatively. This enables rational decision-making so as to ensure implementation of the most effective environmental measures and comprehensive environmental action that directly links environmental measures with management strategy. The Konica Minolta Group actively implements environmental accounting so as to advance more effective environmental measures, and conducts consolidated global accounting for the entire Group by assigning environmental accounting personnel to each office. We use the obtained environmental accounting results group-wide to develop better environmental measures.
Results for Fiscal 2007 and Budget for Fiscal 2008
In fiscal 2007, the investment required for Konica Minolta's environmental conservation activities rose to 3.9 billion yen, a 73% increase compared to fiscal 2006. Investment in equipment accounted for 92% of this amount. The equipment was for the purpose of reducing environmental impact including steps taken to reduce emission of harmful substances at production sites. The expense of environmental conservation activities was 16.2 billion yen, an increase of 13% compared to fiscal 2006. The expense of energy-saving measures for products and manufacturing, along with waste reuse and recycling costs, accounted for 44% of this entire cost.
Unit: Million yen
|Types of Environmental Measures||Fiscal 2007 Results||Fiscal2008 Budget|
|Invest -ment costs||Expen -ses||Econo -mic benefits||Invest -ment costs||Expen -ses|
|Cost within business domain||Pollution prevention||2,274||2,257||55||372||2,571|
|Global warming prevention||426||465||598||475||538|
|Social contribution costs||0||16||0||11||22|
|Environmental damage costs||246||538||0||230||1,020|
|Stage||Type of benefit||Fiscal 2007|
|Manufac-turing||Reduction in water usage (tons) *1||457,477|
|Reduction in electricity usage (MWh) *1||19,291|
|Reduction in city gas usage (1,000m3) *1||2,621|
|Reduction in heavy oil usage (kl) *1||117|
|Reduction in harmful chemical substances (tons) *1||20|
|Reduction in materials usage (tons) *1||57,996|
|External recycling and reuse of waste (tons) *2||23,324|
|Sales||Reduction in packaging materials (tons) *1||610|
|Reuse and recycling of used products (tons) *2||6,036|
|Use||Reduction in CO2 emissions (tons) *3||26,102|
- Calculated as the environmental protection effect, namely, the difference from the environmental impact level before the start of the activity
- Calculated as the environmental protection effect, namely, the amount of waste recycled and reused due to the activity
- Calculated as the environmental protection effect, namely, the difference from the CO2 emission level during use of previous product models
|Stage||Type of benefit||Fiscal 2007|
|Use||Reduction in electricity usage (MWh)||69,053|
|Reduction in electricity costs (millions of yen)||994|
TCompanies included in fiscal 2007 results
10 Konica Minolta companies
22 Japanese affiliates
14 overseas affiliates
Companies Included in Fiscal 2007 Results
The ten main Konica Minolta companies
- Konica Minolta Holdings, Inc.
- Konica Minolta Business Technologies, Inc.
- Konica Minolta Opto, Inc.
- Konica Minolta Photo Imaging, Inc.
- Konica Minolta Medical & Graphic, Inc.
- Konica Minolta Sensing, Inc.
- Konica Minolta Technology Center, Inc.
- Konica Minolta Business Expert, Inc.
- Konica Minolta IJ Technologies, Inc.
- Konica Minolta Planetarium Co., Ltd.
T22 Japanese affiliate companies
- Konica Minolta Information System Co., Ltd.
- Konica Minolta Supplies Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
- Konica Minolta Supplies Manufacturing Kansai Co., Ltd.
- Toyohashi Precision Products Co., Ltd.
- Konica Minolta Electronics Co., Ltd.
- Konica Minolta Business Solutions Japan Co., Ltd.
- Konica Minolta Printing Solutions Japan Co., Ltd.
- Konica Minolta Software Laboratory Co., Ltd.
- Konica Minolta Opto Products Co., Ltd.
- Konica Minolta Components Co., Ltd.
- Konica Minolta Opto Device Co., Ltd.
- Konica Minolta Glass Tech. Co., Ltd.
- Konica Minolta Repro Co., Ltd.
- Konica Minolta Technoproducts Co., Ltd.
- Konica Minolta Healthcare Co., Ltd.
- Konica Minolta Graphic Imaging Japan Co., Ltd.
- Konica Minolta ID System Co., Ltd.
- Konica Minolta Technosearch Co., Ltd.
- Konica Minolta Chemical Co., Ltd.
- Konica Minolta Engineering Co., Ltd.
- Konica Minolta Logistics Co., Ltd.
- Konica Minolta Sogo Service Co., Ltd.
T14 overseas affiliate companies
- Konica Minolta Business Technologies Manufacturing (HK) Ltd.
- Konica Minolta Business Technologies (WUXI) Co., Ltd.
- Konica Minolta Supplies Manufacturing U.S.A., Inc.
- Konica Minolta Business Solutions U.S.A., Inc.
- Konica Minolta Supplies Manufacturing France S.A.S.
- Konica Minolta Business Solutions Europe GmbH
- Konica Minolta Business Solutions Germany GmbH
- Develop GmbH
- Konica Minolta Opto (Dalian) Co., Ltd.
- Konica Minolta Optical Products (SHANGHAI) Co., Ltd.
- Konica Minolta Glass Tech (M) Sdn. Bhd
- Konica Minolta Medical Imaging U.S.A, Inc.
- Konica Minolta Graphic Imaging U.S.A, Inc.
- American Litho Inc.