Konica Minolta Launches the"AeroDR PREMIUM", the World's Lightest*1 Cassette-type Digital Radiography detector with Improved Robustness
Tokyo (September 17, 2014) - KONICA MINOLTA, INC. (hereinafter referred to as Konica Minolta, headquartered in Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, and led by President and CEO Shoei Yamana) announced today that the company launched the "AeroDR PREMIUM", the world's lightest*1 cassette-type digital radiography detector with improved robustness.
|Product name||AeroDR PREMIUM|
With the rapid progress of IT in the field of medical information in recent years, DR*2 detectors that can directly obtain radiography images have been gaining popularity. Since 2011, Konica Minolta has been marketing "AeroDR" wireless cassette-type DR detectors that enable wireless transfer of image data. The products have received high praise from numerous healthcare professionals due to excellent handling derived from their lightweight and robust characteristics, and AeroDR has greater dose efficiency comparing to our CR.
Today, Konica Minolta launched the "AeroDR PREMIUM" (14 × 17 inches) that weighs just 2.6kg – making it the world's lightest*1 radiography detector – which features even greater handling ability.
Cassette-type DR detectors such as the "AeroDR" are frequently used to carry out radiography in patients'rooms. Radiographers often have to handle the cassette-type DR detector with one hand while supporting the patient with the other during exposure. For this reason, a lightweight product is required so that even female radiographers can handle it with ease. In addition, Konica Minolta has received many other requests for lighter "AeroDR" to reduce the burden on radiographers in a range of situations. To meet these requests, Konica Minolta reviewed the housing and component designs to develop the "AeroDR PREMIUM", which is approximately 10% lighter than conventional "AeroDR 1417HQ" series.
In addition to X-ray rooms where the detectors are most frequently used, Konica Minolta has received more requests for heavy-duty features following the expansion of locations in which the detectors are being used, such as operating rooms, emergency care sites, and disaster areas. To meet these requirements, Konica Minolta has improved the product's resistance to load and drop impact, and has enhanced robustness by creating a waterproof design*5.
Furthermore, the cycle time between exposures has been drastically reduced to approximately half the time required by conventional "AeroDR"1417HQ series. This reduces the time required to carry out the exposure process and thus, reduces the burden on patients. Consequently, the reduced exposure process time reduces the time during which orthopedic patients have to wait for several exposures on the same body part while holding a posture that may cause pain, or the time during which groups of radiography examinees have to wait before they are treated.
Konica Minolta believes that the "AeroDR PREMIUM" will promote use of cassette-type DR detectors, which has greater dose efficiency comparing to our CR in a greater number of healthcare facilities, and further improves the efficiency of digital image diagnosis.
Konica Minolta will continue to strive and develop cutting edge healthcare imaging technologies in order to provide new value to customers through high-quality products, services, and solutions.
Main features of the "AeroDR PREMIUM" cassette-type digital radiography device
1. The world's lightest weight*1 of 2.6kg
In response to requests received from many customers who seek more lightweight detectors, Konica Minolta has successfully developed a 14x17-inch wireless DR device weighing 2.6kg including the built-in battery – the world's lightest in this product category. Konica Minolta thoroughly reviewed the housing and component designs, and thereby achieved an approximately 10% weight reduction as compared to conventional "AeroDR 1417HQ series”, while also providing excellent handling ability.
2. Improved load resistance and drop impact resistance
Konica Minolta has strived to develop not only lighter, but also more robust products. To improve the product's drop impact resistance, Konica Minolta improved the rigidity and shock absorption capabilities of the corners, which are particularly likely to be subject to impact. Assuming an exposure situation where a cassette-type DR detector is applied to a patient sitting upright on a hospital bed or similar furniture, Konica Minolta increased the product's resistance to applied bending forces. As a result, when the new detector is propped by its two opposing sides, it withstands approximately twice*3 as much load as a conventional "AeroDR 1417 inch size series.
3. Reduced waiting time due to shortened exposure intervals
Through hardware improvement and software optimization, Konica Minolta has reduced the length of intervals required between exposures. The cycle time between exposures has been approximately reduced by 50% as compared to conventional "AeroDR 14×17 inch series". This improves the efficiency of radiography processes, shortens the time required to carry out exposure, and reduces patient waiting time.
4. Battery performance that enables long-term operations
By increasing the capacity of the built-in lithium-ion capacitor and enhancing the power-saving function, the battery life has been increased to allow users to take approximately 1.5 times*3 more images than that of a conventional "AeroDR 14×17 inch size series". This provides a stress-free operating environment where users may forget that they are using a battery-powered detector because they do not need to replace or recharge the battery even when using the detector while doing the rounds in a large number of rooms.
- In 14×17 inch size cassette type digital radiography detectors as of August 28, 2014
- Digital Radiography: An imaging method in which a sensor panel receives irradiated X-rays. Because digital images are directly obtained, this method is generally able to provide better image quality and promptness than CR.
- The test methods are based on Konica Minolta's standards.
Specifications of the "AeroDR PREMIUM"
|Product type||Cassette-type wireless flat panel detector|
|Detection method||Indirect conversion method|
|Automatic X-ray detection||AeroSync|
|Scintillator (fluorescent substance)||CsI (Cesium iodide)|
|External dimensions||383.7 (W) × 460.2 (D) × 15.9 mm (H) (equivalent to a 14 × 17-inch cassette)|
|Pixel size||175 µm|
|Image area size||348.95 × 425.25 mm (1994 × 2430 pixels)|
|A/D conversion||16 bit (65,536 gradients)|
|Maximum patient weight*4||Point load: 150kg@φ40mm Face load: 300kg@effective image area overall|
|Communication||Dedicated wired Ethernet connection/
Wireless LAN (IEEE802.11a/n compliant) 5.0GHz/2.4GHz
|Dynamic range||4 digits|
|Preview display time||Less than 2 seconds|
|Exposure interval (cycle time)*6||Approx. 4 seconds (wired connection)
Approx. 6 seconds (wireless connection)
|Battery type/expected lifetime||Lithium-ion capacitor (built-in)/equivalent to the Detector service life|
|Battery charging time empty to full||Within 30 minutes|
|Number of exposable images when the battery is fully charged*7||300 images/8.2 hours
(Three exposures per examination in a five-minute cycle examination; when exposing with an X-ray generator)
|Standby time after the battery is fully charged*8||Approx. 20 hours|
- Static load that has no effect on images and the Detector even when it is applied to the Detector. The measurement method is based on Konica Minolta's standards. The maximum patient weight performance of this product does not guarantee that product damage or failure will not occur.
- The product may fail to maintain its waterproof performance (equivalent to IPX6) if it has been dropped.
The waterproof performance of this product does not guarantee that product damage or failure will not occur.
- The performance may vary depending on component configurations and usage environments. The performance described here is obtained during exposures with an X-ray generator.
- Three exposures per examination; in a five-minute cycle examination (with the positioning time assumed to be 20 seconds); exposures with an X-ray generator
- The performance described here is obtained when the battery is fully charged. Also, the performance level may fluctuate depending on the usage environment and frequency of use (the ability to always obtain the performance described here is not guaranteed).
- The information, specifications, and product appearance contained herein are subject to change without notice.
- The company names and product names contained herein are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.
- "AeroDR PREMIUM" is a trade name of the AeroDR SYSTEM2.
- "AeroDR" is a trade name of the " AeroDR SYSTEM.
For futher information of AeroDR PREMIUM, please contact with your nearest Konica Minolta representatives which carry Konica Minolta healthcare products.