Konica Minolta IJ Technologies Showcases State-of-the-Art Inkjet Products at drupa 2008
Tokyo (May 22, 2008) – Konica Minolta IJ Technologies, Inc. is proud to announce that it will exhibit state-of-the-art inkjet products at drupa 2008, the world’s largest print-related exhibition held in Dusseldorf from May 29 to June 11.
Based on the concept of “More Approachable Inkjet Products Incorporating Environmentally Sound Technology and Performance,” the latest inkjet technologies and products for label printing and commercial printing industries will be showcased at Konica Minolta booth – Hall 4 Stand No. 4F24.
A newly-developed inkjet printhead will be shown for the first time, and a full color single-pass technology using this new head will be demonstrated at our booth. In addition, Konica Minolta will display a newly launched inkjet print unit SP-M0320HR ideal for high-quality barcode and label printing along with other unique industrial inkjet products and the cutting-edge inkjet technologies developed by Konica Minolta.
An inkjet printhead, KM1024…..prototype
This is a piezo on-demand printhead with 1024 nozzles, newly developed by Konica Minolta as a next-generation industrial inkjet printhead.
The new KM1024 inkjet printhead features 1024 nozzles, twice the number of the nozzles of the KM512 series which has been favorably accepted in the industrial market. The printhead width of the KM1024 measures 72mm, double that of the KM512 series currently available in the market, greatly enhances the productivity. Technologically, the newly developed actuator structure, coupled with the increased head width, contributes to the enhancement of piezoelectric efficiency and allows the printhead to be driven at a lower voltage, resulting in lower power consumption. In addition, the new IC incorporated in the product allows images to be printed with eight tone levels, ensuring higher quality printed images. A slim design of KM1024 allows users to design compact print unit with multiple printhead units. It is also compatible with various types of inks, including solvent, oil, UV and aqueous inks to better serve industrial needs, and respective models are scheduled to be added to its product line.
- Significantly improved productivity by 1024 nozzles and a 72mm width printhead
- Realized 360dpi x 360dpi high resolution images with eight tone levels by incorporating a newly developed IC
- Designed to be more energy efficient through low power driving
- Slim unit –131.5mm W, 17.5mm D, 90mm H and weighs about 150g – enables to design compact print unit
- Scheduled to lineup models compatible with various types of industrial inks, including solvent, UV, oil and aqueous inks
An inkjet print unit employing full-color, single-pass technology…..demonstrating for the first time
Konica Minolta will unveil SP-S0720 Color (reference exhibit), a full-color, single-pass inkjet printing system equipped with the new KM1024, and demonstrate on-demand color label printing, since such request is increasing in the field of label printing. The new KM1024 inkjet printhead is characterized by a head width twice the size of conventional printheads. This enables users to develop a 72mm width single-pass, full-color printing system with only four printheads. Also, the single-pass method allows significantly faster printing than the conventional scanning method.
- Employs the newly developed KM1024 inkjet printheads
- Enables variable color printing without making plate, which is ideal for the production of diverse products in small quantities
- Boasts a print speed of 20m/min at a print width of 72mm
- Prints 360dpi high resolution, full-color images having eight tone levels with four(Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Black) colors
- Uses an environmentally sound cationic UV ink with a high level of safety and lower odor emission
- Enables to print images on not only paper but also on various other media such as PET
An inkjet print unit SP-M0320HR…..new
The SP-M0320HR is the second product in Konica Minolta’s inkjet printing unit family launched on the market last year. This monochrome inkjet printing unit is capable of printing 720dpi high resolution images, reproducing even fine letters and small barcodes far more clearly than conventional printers. This product consists of three units -- a printhead unit, a sub-tank unit, and an ink cartridge unit-- and its compact design allows each unit to be located flexibly according to the space availability. The SP-M0320HR is designed to be used with Konica Minolta’s new cationic UV ink, which is safer, emits far less odor, and is easier to handle than conventional UV inks. Thanks to the single-pass printing method, a print speed of 20m per minute, suitable for practical use, has been achieved and ensures efficient productivity. The maintenance necessary for the inkjet printing unit can be easily carried out just by following the instructions on the computer screen. The printhead unit employed for this product is KM512, a shear-mode, piezo on-demand Industrial Inkjet that has won acceptance in the industrial market. Based on Konica Minolta’s proprietary printhead technology, this product is environmentally sound as noted by energy efficiency, and can better meet the needs of commercial printing industry to produce diverse labels by use of cationic UV ink. Since inkjet is noncontact plate-less technology, the SP-M0320HR is able to serve the needs of customers to produce diverse products in small quantities, and to meet quick delivery and variable printing requirements.
- The 720dpi high resolution capability precisely reproduces even fine letters and small barcodes
- Boasts a print speed of 20m/min at print width of 36mm
- Employs cationic UV ink (black) having a higher level of safety and lower odor emission
- Inkjet printing allows to produce diverse products in small quantities, and meet the needs of variable printing
- Compact design in three units allows flexible layout according to the space availability
Application: Suitable for over-printing fine characters and barcodes requiring high resolution on labels
An inkjet print unit SP-L2130
The SP-L2130 is a monochome inkjet printing unit introduced last autumn. It has achieved a 213mm print width (A4) at 360dpi, a quality necessary for label printing, and a high print speed of 30m per minute. While the SP-L2130 consists of an integrated printhead and ink supply units, customers may opt to install the printhead unit and ink supply unit separately depending on the availability of office space. It is equipped with several units of the highly reliable KM512 industrial printheads and employs, as its genuine ink, the new cationic UV ink (black) which is safer, emits far less odor, and is easier to handle than conventional UV inks. Maintenance necessary for the inkjet printing unit can be easily completed just by following the instructions on the computer screen. The SP-L2130 can also print images on a wide variety of media, making it possible to produce a wide range of commercial labels. Since inkjet is noncontact plate-less technology, SP-L2130 is being well accepted by meeting the needs of customers to produce diverse products in small quantities, to shorten delivery time and to enable variable printing.
- Ensures high productivity and quality with a high print speed of 30m/min while maintaining standard resolution of 360dpi
- Secures a maximum print width of 213mm (A4-sized paper)
- Employs cationic UV ink (black) with a higher level of safety and lower odor emission
- Inkjet method enables to produce diverse products in small quantities, and meets the variable printing requirement
- Flexible configuration of the printhead and ink supply units allows to mount easily on various printing systems
Application: Suitable for printing standard quality barcodes and labels up to 213mm width
Full-color serial scanning technology…..demonstrating for the first time
Full-color inkjet printer, KMIJ-X Printer (reference exhibit) incorporating high performance KM512 printhead suitable for printing color-proof sheets, packages, and graphic posters will be demonstrated at the booth for the first time.
- Employs piezo on-demand inkjet printhead with serial scanning technology
- Enables to print at maximum width of 44 inches with 720dpi/1440dpi resolution
- Incorporates high-quality KM512 inkjet printhead (512 nozzles, 4pl, 7dpd)
- Employs high-quality and environmentally sound Konica Minolta’s cationic UV ink (cyan, magenta, yellow and black)
- Able to print images on various media – coated paper, uncoated paper, PVC, synthetic paper, etc.
Other industrial use inkjet products
An inkjet printhead for industrial use, KM512 and Print Bar
Konica Minolta will showcase an array of piezo on-demand inkjet printheads for industrial use featuring high resolution, high-speed driving, and compact design.
Shear mode type actuator allows lower energy consumption, and high-density nozzle enables to print highly precise rich images with gradation. In addition, KM512 series boasts a wide range of ink compatibility, including solvent, UV and oil inks. Thanks to its compact design, it mounts easily on various printing lines.
Cationic UV Ink and Solvent Ink for industrial use
Konica Minolta’s cationic UV ink and solvent ink boast outstanding bright color, color reproduction and durability—qualities essential for industrial use inkjet inks. As for environmental consideration, special care has been taken to ensure the safety of the raw materials and to achieve greater safety and lower odor emission in the development of these inks.
EB100 Inkjet Head Evaluation Board for industrial use
The EB100 Inkjet Head Evaluation Board is exclusive controller designed to drive Konica Minolta inkjet printhead to be used for development, evaluation and testing of industrial inkjet equipment. When you purchase Evaluation Board together with Konica Minolta inkjet printhead, it facilitates evaluation of printhead, consideration of ink and printhead matching and confirmation of printing quality; thus, reduces development man-hours and shortens development period.