KONICA MINOLTA

About Konica Minolta

Giving Shape to Ideas

Environmental Policy, Vision, and Strategy

Eco Vision 2050

“Carbon Minus” by 2050: Evolution of Long-Term Environmental Target Eco Vision 2050

Aiming to Achieve Carbon Minus Status by 2050

Given the urgency of global environmental issues, global businesses have a great responsibility to help build a more sustainable society by reducing environmental impact. In 2009, Konica Minolta formulated a long-term environmental vision, Eco Vision 2050, to be achieved by 2050. The aim is to help with the fight against global warming, resource recycling, and preservation of biodiversity, and various initiatives have been implemented.
In order to further strengthen its environmental action, in fiscal 2016 the company added a more ambitious goal to Eco Vision 2050: the “Carbon Minus” concept. With Eco Vision 2050, Konica Minolta aims to reduce the CO2 emissions from its products throughout their entire life cycle by 80% compared to 2005 levels by 2050. The addition of “Carbon Minus” is a new commitment to achieve CO2 emission reduction effect that exceeds the CO2 emissions produced by Konica Minolta’s business activities through cooperation with stakeholders such as business partners, customers and local communities.
If the company can reduce its CO2 emissions by 80% before 2050, the remaining 20% will be approximately 400,000 tons. By helping stakeholders utilize Konica Minolta’s technologies and expertise to reduce their own CO2 emissions by 400,000 tons or more, the net outcome will be that society’s overall CO2 emissions resulting from Konica Minolta’s activities will be negative. This is the “Carbon Minus” status that Konica Minolta is pursuing.

New Eco Vision 2050

  1. Reduce CO2 emissions throughout the product lifecycle by 80% by 2050, compared to fiscal 2005 levels. Also through cooperation with stakeholders, achieve CO2 emission reductions are greater than product lifecycle emissions, and realize Carbon Minus status.
  2. Promote recycling and effective use of Earth's limited resources
  3. Work to promote restoration and preservation of biodiversity

Note: In February 2017, data for 2005 (procurement CO2 and sales and service CO2) has been revised and refined based on SBT initiative criteria.

Approach to Setting Targets for CO2 Emissions in Eco Vision 2050

According to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), greenhouse gas emissions in 2004 were 49 billion t-CO2, which, divided by a world population of 6.4 billion people, amounts to 7.66 t-CO2 per person per year. The amount of greenhouse gases that the earth can absorb naturally is thought to be 11.4 billion t-CO2. Divided by the projected population of 9.2 billion people in 2050, this means the earth could naturally absorb 1.24 t-CO2 per person in 2050. That is 80% less than current annual per capita emissions.
These estimates were used to determine the Eco Vision 2050 target of an 80% reduction in product lifecycle CO2 emissions by 2050, compared to a fiscal 2005 baseline. In addition, the Medium-Term Environmental Plan 2019 used backcasting* from this target to set a target of a 50% reduction from 2005 levels by fiscal 2019, in order to achieve a 60% reduction by 2030.

*
Backcasting: A way of thinking that involves defining a future action by sketching a desirable image of the future and a goal, and then looking back at the current situation from the perspective of that goal.

CO2 Reduction Target Approved by the SBT Initiative

When formulating the new medium-term environmental plan in fiscal 2016, Konica Minolta backcasted from Eco Vision 2050 to set a medium-term goal for the year of 2030, to reduce CO2 emissions by 60% from fiscal 2005 levels. The goal was approved by the international SBT Initiative as a target with a scientific basis. The SBT Initiative was jointly established in 2015 by the CDP, the United Nations Global Compact, the World Resource Institute (WRI), and the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF). The SBT Initiative’s aim is to promote the achievement of science-based targets (SBTs) for greenhouse gas emissions reduction, in order to keep the increase in global average temperature to well below 2 °C above pre-industrial levels.
The SBT Initiative has granted approval to 38 companies worldwide,* and Konica Minolta is just the fourth Japanese company to receive it.

*
Approval acquisition on February 13, 2017

Back to top